Derry Cross by McHarp
This cross symbolizes spring, new growth, new beginnings, and new creativity. The knotwork in the center represents the ties that bind a person to the past. Break out of those self imposed ties to a new beginning. Londonderry at one time was know simply as ‘Derry”, its original name when St. Colmicille founded a monastery there in the 6th century. ‘Derry’ comes from the Irish ‘doire’, meaning an oak grove. West of the River Foyle is the old city, built in the 1600s to replace an even earlier city destroyed by fire.
The city was rebuilt by a consortium of City of London companies, which were granted land in return for developing the area and colonizing it with English and Scottish settlers, a policy known as ‘Plantation”. Thus in 1613 Derry received its prefix. The city’s walls, a mile in circumference, date from the time. They are still intact, making Derry the only city in Ireland with a complete circuit of walls.
McHarp Ceramic Celtic Crosses. McHarp products are made of clay/ceramic. All McHarp artwork and crosses are hand-crafted and inspired by designs from antiquity. Each piece, based on an actual artifact or standing stone in the Celtic world, is accompanied by a tag in which the time period and culture are described.
Co. Derry, Ireland
9” x 4”